Crushed Optimists

We are twin brothers who grew up in Central Washington. This blog is devoted to the life of Seattle sports fans, as well as various other topics that we will espouse for your enjoyment. We could be called another OFFICIAL SEATTLE SEAHAWKS site, but we'll take our uneducated crack at the Mariners, Sonics, and Huskies as well. A Seattle Sports Blog? Must be the land... of crushed optimism!

Friday, June 09, 2006

And We're Off!

Germany vs. Costa Rica - The World Cup is underway, at least for the ten Americans who care. And for those who are upset about that, Dan Patrick (of all people) had an interesting take as for why we just don't care about soccer.

Think, for a second, if we only had American football as a sport here in America. No baseball. No basketball. No NASCAR. No golf. No hockey. Just football. Well, then, of course we would be just rabid fans about football. That would be it. If we were a sports fan, we would be, simply, a football fan.

And that's the way it is for much of the world. Honestly, what else does Europe have to look forward to? NFL Europe? Minor-league basketball? Tennis?

America is already oversaturated with sports, most of them WAY more exciting (in my humble opinion, sorry Jeff) than soccer. At least MLS style, which was supposed to finally make soccer an American sport. It's just hard for Americans to ignore soccer for four years and then become rabid soccer fans for a couple of weeks.

However, I AM glad that the World Cup is here, and excited to see how the US does, though my prediction is that they don't make it out of the group of death (see Italy, Czech Republic).

I'm also glad because it takes my mind off my fantasy baseball team, who is going through a HUGE cold streak right now (Carlos Delgado, A-Rod, Giambi, Iguchi, etc.).

I'm also glad because it takes my mind off Mike Hargrove putting out a lineup against Johan Santana that can only be deemed "laughable". Seriously.

I'm also glad because it takes my mind off an NBA Finals matchup that I just can't bring myself to care about, probably because the Eastern Conference is a living joke.

posted by colin_hesse @ 10:17 AM  0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


We Wrote These...