Crushed Optimists

We are twin brothers who grew up in Central Washington. This blog is devoted to the life of Seattle sports fans, as well as various other topics that we will espouse for your enjoyment. We could be called another OFFICIAL SEATTLE SEAHAWKS site, but we'll take our uneducated crack at the Mariners, Sonics, and Huskies as well. A Seattle Sports Blog? Must be the land... of crushed optimism!

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ultimate Explosion!!

Colin (whiner) is with the in-laws this week and is bound and determined to force me to continue to show him up as the penultimate blogger of this site. Well, challenge accepted.

The NBA playoffs continue to pull me in whenever the Phoenix Suns are playing and last night was no exception. Steve Nash started to show why he's the MVP (although let's be honest, people, isn't he about the 10th guy in the league you would pick in a fantasy draft?), taking over the game in the 4th quarter with the Suns down nine. The Mavericks really didn't take the lesson learned from the Lakers/Clippers and attack the Suns down low each and every possession. Dirk Nowitzki should be an unstoppable force against the Suns, but instead it seemed like he settled for far too many fade-away jump shots. The Mavericks aren't going to get 30 from Devin Harris each night, either, so some improvement is needed. As for Phoenix, is there going to be a game when they actually shoot well from behind the arc? Is Boris Diaw really this good? They sure better hope Raja Bell is healthy, they need his defense. Maybe Kurt Thomas will be able to add something as well. That would sure be nice. Tonight is Miami-Detroit... I think I'll pass.

Continuing on the NBA theme, Chad Ford has come out with his first NBA mock draft. I'll start mocking these later, but wanted to make my positions known clearly early. Unlike the NFL draft this year, when it was difficult to really want a specific player with the Hawks picking so late, I have two players in mind for the Sonics. Brandon Roy, for obvious reasons, and Shelden Williams, who I wanted longer than Roy until Brandon really started to take off. Well, Ford has us taking Williams. That would be a nice major coup.

Of course I can't go too long without the NFL. Gary Horton of ESPN's Scouts Inc has an in-depth look at the NY Giants' offseason. He's a bit more glowing than I would be, since I don't think the Giants did nearly enough to address their wide receiver situation and the secondary additions scream "veteran band-aid" loudly enough to wake Grandpa. However, I thought I'd post his final thoughts, since Colin and I whine about press bias enough here.

"It's always fun to pontificate at this time of year and I will take a shot at predicting the Giants' success in 2006. I think they will win the NFC East with a physical 10-6 record and advance all the way to the NFC Championship Game, where they will lose to Seattle."

That's right. We ALREADY have some on the bandwagon for the Super Bowl. Niiiice. Also nice not to hear the name "Carolina" involved at that point.

On to UW Football. I do see signs of recruiting improvement. I'm not sure how much of a major coup it is to get an early commitment from a lifelong rabid Husky fan, but talent is talent, and if Ty Willingham gets enough of it to come to UW so that we can actually win more than two games next year I'm all for it.

Finally, does anyone else think it's strange to actually care how Oakland/Texas/Anaheim do each day? I caught myself scoreboard watching yesterday for the first time in two years. Only two games out is nuts, even if Rodrigo Lopez is currently utterly schooling our lineup and The Alien Posing As Gil Meche is having another excellent outing. If we can actually be "average", as the Seattle PI puts it, I might be able to get through this summer. That, of course, only happens with the contributions of Richie Sexson and Adrian Beltre... not to mention Felix Hernandez. Maybe I have to drag myself down to a few more games.

posted by Gavin @ 3:11 PM  2 comments

2 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Look up "penultimate." Are you really the next-to-last blogger on this site.

Glass houses.

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger nach said...

I thought it ment the best pen, ever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


We Wrote These...