Crushed Optimists

We are twin brothers who grew up in Central Washington. This blog is devoted to the life of Seattle sports fans, as well as various other topics that we will espouse for your enjoyment. We could be called another OFFICIAL SEATTLE SEAHAWKS site, but we'll take our uneducated crack at the Mariners, Sonics, and Huskies as well. A Seattle Sports Blog? Must be the land... of crushed optimism!

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Let's Just Play the Game Already

My cable was out for forever and now that it's working I sort of want it to be out again. All NFL commentators are doing is discussing Joey Porter's comments. That is simply ridiculous. Grown men and former football players are literally saying that Porter is so insecure he needed a harmless statement from Jerramy Stevens to be ready to play in the Super Bowl, because all of them now believe this will have a huge impact on Sunday.

Riiiight. This is what happens when they don't want to talk about Jerome Bettis and Ben Roethlisberger, and they have to discuss something.

Really? Affect the game? If the Steelers win it would be a large measure of disrespect to say they did it because of this.

Let's just play the game already.

Colin: It's almost gotten to the point where I'm missing the "good ol' days" where we were the forgotten team in the Northwest. Sure, there have been a new nice articles written the past two weeks, mostly by people I respect like John Clayton, KC Joyner, and Michael Smith. But I have also had to listen to analysts I simply don't respect, people like Skip Bayless, Mark Schlereth, and Mike Golic, and when I hear those people say that a comment like that would have a big impact on the Super Bowl, I simply can't comprehend it.

Here's what I hear when they say those things. Pittsburgh, coming to Detroit, hometown of Jerome Bettis (you may have heard about this), and coming off beating the 3 top seeds in the AFC, needed to hear a Seahawk say that he thought the Hawks would win in order to get charged up for THE SUPER BOWL! That's a slap in the face to the Steelers, in my opinion.

If I'm a Seahawk, I AM EVEN MORE FIRED UP RIGHT NOW after listening to people like Joey Porter and Hines Ward attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill, including Porter proclaiming that he would try to "tap out" as many Seahawks as possible (which, by the way, is WAY MORE offensive and disrespectful then anything Stevens said).

Final point: I heard one analyst, I think Hodge, say that people in Seattle must be upset at Stevens and that he would be a huge goat in Seattle if the Hawks end up losing. To me, a diehard Hawks fan, that idea is ridiculous. The goats in Seattle will be the individuals who screw up ON THE FIELD if we end up losing. If Brown misses a game-winning field goal, he would be a goat. If Alexander has a key fumble, he would be a goat. Stevens saying that he thinks Seattle will win? That is not a goat. That is the confidance I would like to see from the #1 seed in the NFC, a 15-3 team who comes into the Super Bowl an underdog to the #6 seed from the AFC.

C'mon, Sunday. Just get here already.

posted by Gavin @ 1:10 PM  2 comments

2 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Bloof said...

You guys are twins, eh? I bet you could, like, write an article in the other one's name and no one could tell.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Gavin said...

I bet you could tell.

But with all seriousness, the far superior quality of my writing would shine through regardless of the name by "post".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


We Wrote These...