Crushed Optimists

We are twin brothers who grew up in Central Washington. This blog is devoted to the life of Seattle sports fans, as well as various other topics that we will espouse for your enjoyment. We could be called another OFFICIAL SEATTLE SEAHAWKS site, but we'll take our uneducated crack at the Mariners, Sonics, and Huskies as well. A Seattle Sports Blog? Must be the land... of crushed optimism!

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Ultimate Explosion!!

Here's a quick Explosion since it's Tuesday and that means oodles of posts during work.

- One of my trade hopes fell through today as San Diego traded Adam Eaton to Texas. Eaton, before suffering an injury to the middle finger of his pitching hand, was the second best pitcher on the Padres behind Cy Young candidate Jake Peavy. He also was probably the best pitcher on my fantasy team at the time (Chris Carpenter hadn't turned it on yet). His peripherals were solid and one would have hoped we could have had some discussions with Kevin Towers since we've made so many other deals with him. So now he has gone to a division rival. I was a little upset by that until I saw that Texas traded Chris Young for Eaton. Are you kidding me? Chris Young was looking like one of the top pitchers in the league before he got tired, just like all young pitchers do. He is tall with a fluid delivery and comes cheap. No way you trade him for Adam Eaton. Now I don't feel as bad. Stupid Rangers.

- On the other hand, we signed Jarrod Washburn. I'm a bit torn on this. I've always liked Washburn, but I wanted Kevin Millwood. Washburn, as Art Thiel deftly points out, is not worth the money we're going to now be paying him. Not even close. Still, on the bright side, he is a lefty in Safeco Field. Just look at Jamie Moyer's home/away splits to tell how successful a good lefty can be here. He is better than a left handed Ryan Franklin, which I saw on another site. He is an overpaid #3 starter. As long as he is our #3 starter, he will be one of the better ones in the league. It is disappointing that we do not have Millwood, who should have been our #2, and we will be a worse team because of it. Basically, while this isn't an awful signing, it is still not enough to get me excited in the least for next season. Maybe now we hit .500.

- Finally, yet another dumb column from Scoop Jackson, this time about Pat Riley. I'm not even sure if I understand his point. Is Riley good or bad? I'm not sure. All I ask is for the premise of the article to come out. Is that too much to ask for?

posted by Gavin @ 1:43 PM  0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


We Wrote These...