Crushed Optimists

We are twin brothers who grew up in Central Washington. This blog is devoted to the life of Seattle sports fans, as well as various other topics that we will espouse for your enjoyment. We could be called another OFFICIAL SEATTLE SEAHAWKS site, but we'll take our uneducated crack at the Mariners, Sonics, and Huskies as well. A Seattle Sports Blog? Must be the land... of crushed optimism!

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

National Thoughts

I'd like to throw a shout-out over to one of the more disappointing baseball teams of the past few years... the Philadelphia Phillies (what the hell is a Philly anyways?). As Jerry Crasnick at ESPN.com explains, they have stuck themselves right back into the NL race, thanks largely to a hitting assault that contains Chase Utley, Bobby Abreu and my fantasy favorite, Pat Burrell (although I bench him continually to try and salvage strikeouts each week). The problem with continuing this success? Brett Myers, Jon Lieber, and Vincente Padilla. These are good, not great starting pitchers, akin to our 2002 staff. I don't know if it's enough to help them rattle off some late season win streaks, especially with that bandbox of a stadium they play in. Still, they're at least fun to watch and I have a wierd soft spot for them that can't be rationally explained. But, sports can't be rationally explained, so bring it.

I continue to give John Hollinger some props, and besides his abysmal last article, he generally comes up with decent basketball articles (nothing like David Locke, though, who writes the best NBA articles I've read this past year). His most recent offering, best 25 free agents left available, contains one name I haven't thought about as much, Gerald Wallace, who looks like a more athletic version of Damien Wilkins. Just a thought... especially if Wilkins is looking for absurd sums of money. I read this list and bemoan the lack of real talent in the NBA.

At some point it would be nice to go to a sports site and not have to hear about Terrell Owens.

It's almost fantasy football season! For all you aficionados, the Crushed Optimists staff has tried to do a couple of things this year...

1. Lower the importance of the QB (Basically, Peyton Manning carried my team all last year. It didn't matter that I was starting Miami running backs, I was still winning).
2. Lower the importance of rushing touchdowns (These are stupid lines we want to mean a little less: Jerome Bettis, 10 yds, 3 TDs). I want someone who rushes for 130 yds and 1 TD to be almost equal to that.
3. Add more wide receivers
4. Pray that the Seahawks I use will be actually productive. Yep, I had Koren Robinson last year.

Man, I can't wait for football.

posted by Gavin @ 2:07 PM  0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


We Wrote These...