Crushed Optimists

We are twin brothers who grew up in Central Washington. This blog is devoted to the life of Seattle sports fans, as well as various other topics that we will espouse for your enjoyment. We could be called another OFFICIAL SEATTLE SEAHAWKS site, but we'll take our uneducated crack at the Mariners, Sonics, and Huskies as well. A Seattle Sports Blog? Must be the land... of crushed optimism!

Friday, July 08, 2005

And the weirdness continues...

We have now scored 20 runs in 2 games against starters Bartolo Colon and Jarod Washburn. OK, pinch me, someone....

Obvious studs:
The Ichiro: 3/5, 2 R, 2 RBI
The Winn: 1/6 (ouch), 1 HR, 4 RBI (good)
The Ibanez: 2/5, 2 RBI
The Morse: 3/5, 1 R, 1 RBI

Moyer picked up his 200th win. Excellent work, Moyer. If he had found his groove earlier in his career, he could be gunning for 300. Now, that is a pipe dream, because this season might be it for Moyer, though I could see him going one more year, just not with the Mariners.

You see, this game was classic 2005 Moyer. A few extremely easy innings of 1-2-3 ball, where Moyer was hitting his corners, getting ahead of the hitters, and inducing weak pop-ups and ground balls. And there were the pitches grooved down the middle that were immediately removed to the seats by Jeff DaVanon and Benji Molina, resulting in 4 runs. Yep. Seen those games a LOT during the past few years.

Once again, I am a certified Winn-ripper. I know, it's a serious condition, I'm dealing with it. And my Winn-tred was in full gear after the double-play ball in the 1st and the error on Vlad's ball in the 6th. But I have to commend him for the grand slam that should have put this game out of reach. A great clutch hit. Sure, he didn't get another hit, but he was still pretty darn productive.

How do we have a good bullpen? I mean, I know the stats, and according to them we have an excellent bullpen. However, our bullpen made a 7-4 game extremely interesting at times, whether it was Ron "angry-man" Villone, Jeff "strike-zone" Nelson, or even JJ "why don't they pitch me more?" Putz. At least Hargrove didn't put Thornton in. I prefer only to see Thornton when we are either winning or losing by double digits. I guess I'm just not sure how the stats match up.

I have now listened to the Angels broadcasters 2 games in a row. Unbelievable. They actually make me long for Ron Fairly and Dave Valle. Rex Hudler is, quite simply, the most annoying broadcaster I have ever listened to. Shouldn't Moreno have the money to spend on some actually interesting commentators? Of course, this is the franchise that entrusts their late-inning rallies to a feces-throwing monkey and decides that they, not the Dodgers, are the true Los Angeles team. Yowzah.

Tomorrow: Fearless Prediction: We will not score 10 runs with Ryan Franklin on the mound. Franklin will get 1 or 2 runs, as John Lackey somehow stalls our offense. It's Franklin's curse. Then, Sunday, Gil Meche takes the mound. The Mariners team web site had a hilarious story about Meche "finally" learning how to pitch. Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it. His game against the Royals was simply atrocious.

posted by colin_hesse @ 10:23 PM  2 comments

2 Comments:

At 11:12 PM, Blogger BJ said...

hey check out my blog at www. blogzrok.blogspot.com
thanx

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger colin_hesse said...

have done so, nice pictures there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 


We Wrote These...